Following are the objectives of material handling:
- Minimise cost of material handling.
- Minimise delays and interruptions by making available the materials at the point of use at right quantity and at right time.
- Increase the productive capacity of the production facilities by effective utilisation of capacity and enhancing productivity.
- Safety in material handling through improvement in working condition.
- Maximum utilisation of material handling equipment.
- Prevention of damages to materials.
- Lower investment in process inventory.
Source: KumarAnil, Suresh N. (2009), Production and operations management, New Age International Pvt Ltd; 2nd Ed. edition.